Sunday 23 February 2014

A Word from the Blog-Author ... or .... How I Got Into This Mess

Hello There! Thanks for joining me!

Maybe it's time to give you the back story as a way to get to know the motivation behind my blog.
 
Over the years, I inherited a large volume of material from my grandmother, mother and late sister. The material is volumes of photos, newspaper clippings, and a mountain of geneological information compiled mainly by my mother, Audrey. It takes up a floor to ceiling bookcase in my house. 
 
Warning: this stash has already been purged, so it is remarkably reduced in volume since it was installed in this current locale!

Plus there are a couple boxes not shown in this photo...oh dear!

Some people know that I have this stash and often request photos or pictures, which I don't have a lot of time to find for them, given that I work full-time and have lots of other just as important and pressing things to do with my time! Still, I would like to be able to share this incredibly rich legacy with family and friends, near and far. And ... I might need your help identifying some of the pictures I post...
 
So...I have been thinking about posting some of the material on line, cataloguing and storing it somewhere less visible...and taking up less space...but still safe and dry. Having this information in digital format is the way to go because it is so easily shared.
 
As you can probably appreciate, this ain't no Sunday afternoon project!  And in truth, there might be other things I'd like to do with my time...hence the name...Reluctant Archivist!
 
If you are a friend or family member who has made a request for a piece of this history, be patient! I'm hoping eventually to post lots of photos etc. to quench your need for geneology and local history but it is a learning process to even attempt a blog, so please bear with me and we can discover some of these treasures together.

Thanks for joining me on this journey. Any feedback is most welcome!

Sincerely,

The Reluctant Archivist

No comments:

Post a Comment